Tuesday, June 17, 2008

MARCO!

Well, we're finally online at home. We'll be expecting several 'POLOs!' from all of you! :)

We are so excited that summer is finally here. Scott has a packed schedule with youth camps both here in Oregon and in Idaho! I am stoked about spending time together with him-free of the stress of teaching. He has been amazing, helping me through my first year at the high school. But even so, I am ready to have a break..2 months not having to sshhhush anybody will be so rejuvenating. Outside of translating the high school's student hand book into Spanish for some extra money this summer, I have the joy of joining him at a week long camp in Idaho where he was asked to be the speaker. I've heard it's beautiful at QuakerHill Camp in McCall, and I love seeing Scott when he's in his element like that. He has such a huge heart!

This summer marks two years for us here in Silverton, and the kids here are beginning to really connect with Scott and the youth group. In fact, a few weeks ago when he was at baccalaureate, I hosted youth group here at our apartment without him. About 7 or 8 kids showed up and were awkwardly loitering in the hallway even after I welcomed them in to sit down several times. After 10 minutes or so, it became clear as to why when someone finally asked, "where's Scott?" It's like they weren't going start youth group without him. :) We had a fun night, but he was missed.

Along with the youth, we are connecting with the preschoolers in the church. I teach the preschool Sunday School Class, and they all love giving "Pastor Scott" high fives in big church. We find their perspectives on life so refreshing. For instance, one week, a little 4 year old tore her dollar bill in half without hesitating just so that another little boy would have something to put in the collection. I can't help admiring the joy in which both those halves were given that Sunday morning.) I love teaching them, and I've been told they look forward to the wonder that is getting to stomp their feet as we welcome each child to Sunday School. It's become a tradition and after a week with teenagers, I actually welcome the release (oops I mean silliness).

Well, there's a little update. Please write us back! We are so excited to be more in the loop. We love you friends and family!!!

-Katie

2 comments:

Kandy said...

Welcome to the blog world. I can't wait to read updates and see pics!! I love you both!!!

kellyjyoung said...

POLO! :) So glad to keep up with you in this way! Love you!!