Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I Can Craft!!


I come from a wonderfully crafty family. Even the men in the family (outnumbered as they are:) are creative and talented. My dad can sew, is a meticulous designer, fine woodworker, he even ties his own colorful flies for fly fishing. My Pawpaw was amazingly talented as well. I remember his fantastic wood carvings and wooden toys and puzzles with which us girls enjoyed countless hours of amusement when we were little. My Awma was a wonderful seamstress, making my sisters and I dresses when we were little. My Grammy is a phenomenal quilter, seamstress, knitter, painter, you name it! She can do it all...really well. My mother too, is a perfectionist in her beautifully detailed cross-stitch, appliquéing, quilting, sewing, beading...again, you just name it!

With such a strong heritage of crafty and creative people, you'd think I would be just as skilled.
Not so.
I have a sewing machine that intimidates me. I only use it for whatever I can mend with black thread because I'm scared I don't know how to change out the spools. For the other 364 days of the year, my sewing machine desk serves as a piece of furniture for me to put things on. Also, my spacial awareness is seriously lacking, so even my attempts at scrapbooking, I leave to a computer software system. You get the picture, I'm sure.

Busied with sports and other activities growing up, I know I didn't quite get started soon enough with crafts to even begin to approach the abilities of my parents and grandparents. But recently I've been inspired to give crafting a serious attempt. In July while visiting my family I received my first lesson in crocheting. With my nine year old niece, Ajyah, at my side we began our awkward introduction. After a few days, I knew more about how to undo my crochet work and start over, than I did about making a finished product. I was fairly certain I would never get it and was admittedly harboring some feelings of jealousy towards Ajyah who was just having so much fun with it! ;) I know, who gets jealous of a nine-year-old, right?!! LOL

Anyway, before leaving for home, I mustered up some excitement about crocheting only to encourage my little niece to keep going with it. Largely motivated by what she would think of me if I quit, I decided to ask for help one more time from my mother-in-law and from one of Scott's aunts (since he too, is part of an incredibly crafty family!) The result...after some more frustration, lots more undoing, and several weeks of practice:


Baby Scarf (I even used 2 colors of yarn at once!)

Baby Beanie


My first completed crochet project!

Yay! Despite my serious doubts, it turns out, I CAN craft! Hee hee hee:) I am excited to keep going and have already started on another beanie! Our baby will be cozy and warm this winter! Ajyah you can do it too! (Well, I knew you could from the start ;)

2 comments:

kellyjyoung said...

As the un-crafty sister in the bunch I must say, I am totally impressed! :) At least you make attempts to be crafty, I resist it with full efforts. And now you've succeeded, joining the ranks with Kandy and Kristy too! Good job Katie, I'm proud of you for persevering. Keep having fun!

Kandy said...

I LOVE IT!! I think your new neice/nephew needs a beanie and scarf! Kelly, you are hilarious!! Keep it up!!